Cliff Henricksen, Ocean Way Audio’s Director of New Technology, has created a completely unique Ribbon Mic with amazing performance like no other!” – Allen Sides, five-time Grammy® award-winning engineer/producer.
• The Ocean Way Audio RM1-B has the greatest magnetic field strength ever available in a ribbon mic
• Unique FEA-analyzed design results in a physical structure around the ribbon that optimizes magnetics and results in resonance-free acoustical performance
• High intensity NeO-powered magnet super-circuit delivers 6dB more level
• Super-audiophile 1st stage preamp with all discrete circuit
• Output level comparable to quietest condenser mics
• Completely natural unaffected sound with full bandwidth in both directions
The Ocean Way Audio RM1-B is directly descendent of the former RM1, making it easier to use and improving its performance. These are the improvements made to create the RM1-B:
• The two-stage pop filter design proved unnecessary.
• The original RM1 knob was redesigned to give better hand-feel and adjustment-resolution.
• Some changes in magnetic pole metallurgy gave a small improvement in field strength.
• As with any high-performance design, adding up all the results of small changes make for a very useful result.
• Because of these functional changes, the RM1-B has taken on a unique and iconic appearance in a world of look-alike microphones.
The Artist’s Microphone
The RM1-B microphone was designed, developed and engineered by pro-audio transducer inventor and technologist Cliff Henricksen. The microphones are machined and assembled exclusively in America. The RM1/RM1-B series was created to improve on well-known qualities of “large-format ribbon microphones”, namely low sensitivity (leading to a noisy processed signal), dull spectral output and unpleasant p-pop response. As a result, the RM1-B is very simple to use, giving faithful recordings with minimum processing and downstream adjustment. As the artist/engineer uses the RM1-B regularly, sessions become more efficient as results are expectedly consistent.
The RM1-B sounds beautiful
The RM1-B’s diaphragm is made from exquisitely-thin aluminum. It vibrates in a very intense magnetic field, creating unusually high output. The diaphragm’s output is amplified by a carefully-engineered and artistically-voiced, ultra-low-noise phantom-powered preamplifier. This combination gives the user a true plug-and-play setup that rarely needs equalization, even in complex ensemble mixes. The goal of “normal sound” (i.e., “high fidelity”) is a pleasant (and very useful) surprise to the first-time user. Integration of “SuperQuiet®” technology assures sonic purity, free of unwanted noise.
The RM1-B looks beautiful
Aluminum case components are softened and matte-surfaced as part of the manufacturing process and finished with an attractive but unassuming hard-anodize outer coating. The grille/popfilter is stretched so that it exhibits a graceful geometric form and pleasing color. The microphone was designed as a pure “Form Follows Function” creation.
|Output:||-36dB sensitivity (1Pa) , 20-20,000Hz|
|Materials and finishes used in the RM1-B:||• Neodymium permanent magnets and low-carbon steel conductor-elements with electro-less nickel-plating for archival rust protection.
• Aluminum case and all external hardware: Alloy aluminum, “hard-anodized”.
• Other: All stainless steel fasteners pop/debris filter frames.
• Miscellaneous: Brass, silicon rubber, nylon, nylon/spandex fabric, “nautical-grade” elastomeric suspension elements.
• Consumables: Grilles with integral stainless steel frames, suspension elements, ribbon diaphragm.
|Warranty:||5 years on all parts and manufacturing integrity. Ribbon warranty 90 days from purchase. RM1-B is fully repairable and rebuildable.|
|Dimensions:||6.25”H x 3.25”W x 2.10”D|
|Weight:||7.5lb (3.4 kg)|
|Integral preamplifier:||Preamp requires standard 48v phantom power via XLR connector, draws about 8ma (4ma per side).|
|Integral cable assembly:||24” (0.64m) Gotham GAC3 cable, integral compression strain relief and gold-plated Neutrik cable-mount XLRM.|
|Accessories:||ISO1 subsonic-tuned isolation boom-mount (optional), yoke-mount (standard). All with standard 5/8”- 27 female mic-stand thread. A waterproof Pelican case holds and protects the mic for ribbon-safe transport.|
|Use Note:||12”-18” a good working distance for normal vocals (closer gives proximity bass-boost). Excellent for just about any instrument, except nearfield kick drum and nearfield bass guitar speaker pickup (LF will harm the ribbon).|
|Origin:||Proudly hand-made in the United States of America.|
See www.cliffmics.com for additional information about the RM1 including application notes, design details, an extensive collection of recordings on Soundcloud (48k/24b) and lots of good reading in general.